1916 Commerce St.
Yorktown Heights Engine Company #1
The Yorktown Heights Engine Company #1 was formed on March 8, 1909 by a group of 33 concerned citizens in the town of Yorktown. After collecting or purchasing some rudimentary firefighting equipment, a barn on Maple Ct. was used as the company’s first firehouse. In 1916, the company built a permanent firehouse, on property now known as Commerce St. In May of 1920, the Yorktown Volunteers purchased a 1920 Reo Fire Engine, the first piece of motorized fire apparatus for the company. Also in 1920, the first Fire Department Carnival was held in July, a tradition that still remains to this day. As the population and development of Yorktown increased greatly in the following decades, a new fire station was built on the same property of the first firehouse. In 1968, the Yorktown Heights Fire District purchased a 100 foot Seagrave Ladder truck, the first aerial piece for the district.
What started as a small group of citizens and one fire apparatus in 1909, has now developed into a fully operational fire department. Even though the organization still bears the name “Engine Company #1”, the company provides full fire suppression services to the Yorktown Heights Fire District, as well as several specialized services.
See all Oak Beverages Events